Saturday, June 30, 2007

Close the Book

Last Thursday, NBC aired the final episode of Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip. It was the last of a 4-episode arc obviously originally intended for sweeps month.

I was a huge fan of this show from the beginning. It was made by the creators of The West Wing and was aimed at fans of that show, like me. It featured sharp humor, liberal politics, and, most importantly, excellent writing! This last item is a feature that is rapidly disappearing from Television.

I mean, network television today is all about the so-called "reality" shows and watching talentless wannabes singing karaoke badly. There has been a dearth of quality writing on network TV of late, and I highly respect NBC for having the guts to still put out quality, well-written television shows.

Of course, the fact that nobody seems to be watching them makes me wonder how long that trend will continue.

No comments: