Saturday, December 14, 2013

The Sound of Music

NBC has recently remade The Sound of Music, starring Carrie Underwood in the leading role of Maria.

I don't like Carrie Underwood. I dislike any American Idol winner on principle.

But NBC remade the stage play enacted LIVE on TV (which takes some serious guts)

I ignored it at first. But I found myself flipping back to it for some reason.

When I was growing up, my mother and my sister controlled what we watched on TV. This meant that every year we watched The Sound of Music without fail. I grew to hate it.

However, several years ago my mother lost a long battle with cancer. Ever since, anything she shared with me has driven me to a strong state of nostalgia whenever I encounter it again.

NBC's remake was mediocre at best. As an actress, Carrie Underwood is a good singer. Julie Andrews, if she watched this performance, is pointing and laughing at her.

But I wish I didn't get so unfortunately melancholic whenever I encounter something like this that reminds me so strongly about my mother.

Memory is a great and terrible thing.

No comments: