Monday, February 13, 2006

Another Little Gem

While wandering the internet today, I came across this:

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."
-- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials


This quote has been checked and re-checked, and has been verified as authentic. Go here if you don't believe me.

This country seems to creep towards becoming a fascist state a little bit more every day. Anyone who criticizes the current administration is denounced as a "liberal" and someone who "hates America". Well, let me tell you this: Nothing could be further from the truth.

Anyone who has ever lived with an alcoholic or drug addict will tell you that the worst thing you can do is pretend there's nothing wrong. If you love someone, then you have the obligation to tell them if they are headed down a destructive path. And I can't help but think that this country is headed down a path that will lead to its destruction. And so, since I love my country, I, along with many others, believe that it is our duty to tell my fellow citizens that I think we are headed down a destructive path. This is not being un-patriotic. On the contrary--this is the truest form of patriotism--realizing that there is a problem with the direction the country is headed in and trying to do something to stop it.

I realize that I'm tilting at windmills here. But just because it's a lost cause doesn't mean the cause is not just. So I will continue to speak truth to power. And while it's highly likely that no one but me will ever read these words, I consign them to that modern marvel that is the internet, knowing full well that once something gets onto it, it is never lost.

Doubt me? Just ask yourself how many times you've gotten that "Bill Gates is sharing his fortune with you" e-mail...

No comments: