Saturday, January 01, 2005

Looking back

As I sit in my chair on this first day of 2005, I want to pause and look back over the year that just passed. Since I started keeping my journal in May, a lot of things have happened, but I want to go back to before May and look at a few significant dates that stood out for me last year (I apologize if any of the dates are wrong).


January 11th: This date holds a special significance for me. Two years prior to this date, my mother finally lost a nearly 20 year battle with a particularly malicious form of cancer. Over the years she endured radiation, chemotherapy, surgery, biopsies, and just about every other form of treatment there is. Through it all, she never gave up. When she was first diagnosed, her doctor gave her five years, maximum. She lived more than three times that long.

She was an extraordinary woman. I miss her.

January 19th: The Democratic party turns its back on one of the most exciting, charismatic figures ever to be a Democrat (Howard Dean) and instead chooses a man with all the charisma of a stone (John Kerry). Once again, Democrats show their lack of any visible spine. Meanwhile, endless media repitition of the now infamous "Scream" by Dean ensures that his political future will forever be in the crapper.

May 26th (I think!): The latest addition to the McAfee family, James Franklin, entered the world. He had a fight from day 1, being put on a respirator because he was having trouble breathing. If you look back through some of my previous posts, you'll find his picture taken 3 days after he was born. Life renews itself yet again.

June 15: The country marveled as they watched a team of unknowns called the Detroit Pistons beat Shaq, Kobe, and the Lakers in five games to claim the NBA title. Shaq is human after all (all evidence to the contrary!)


June 30th: "Fahrenheit 9/11" hits the silver screen, despite efforts by everyone from Disney to Bill O'Reilly to kill it. The massive publicity generated by this negative campaign against the film ensures that it will go on to gross more than any documentary in history. Michael Moore laughs all the way to the bank.

August 30th-September 2nd: The Republicans hold their national convention in New York City (what, was San Francisco booked?) during which the name "John Kerry" is mentioned repeatedly as the greatest threat to national security that has ever existed. Meanwhile, the REAL bad guy, Osama Bin Laden, is never mentioned. I guess they forgot all about him, what with the unprovoked war against Iraq and all.

September 11th: Three years earlier, terrorists perpetrated the deadliest mass casualty attack to ever happen on American soil. The mastermind behind that attack remains at large to this day. He regularly puts out videotapes mocking us and reminding us of that fact.

November 2nd: 51% of the country proves just how ABSOLUTELY FUCKING STUPID it is. A campaign run on fear, attack ads, and endless repitition of lies proves its worth one more time. Anti-gay amendments in several swing states are a key part of this. When will it stop, people? When we're making them wear pink triangles, herding them into concentration camps, and gassing them?

Of course, it doesn't help much that Kerry is such a dud. I'm seriously considering moving to Canada for the next four years.

November 20th: The Buckeyes CRUSH Michigan! That's partial payback for Bush winning the election. Make sure it happens again for the next three years and I'll consider that debt settled. Are you listening, football Gods?

December 25th
: Another Christmas comes--and goes. My credit card is still whimpering.


Well, that's all for now. I'm sure there are more dates, but that's all I can remember. I wish anyone reading this happiness and health for 2005.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, you're more than welcome in Canada. All I can say is, I'm sorry you have to deal with another four years of it...

51% isn't a win, it's a mistake.

Take care,

James Addison
http://www.pjsoft.ca