Tuesday, January 04, 2005

My best (and worse) of 2004

It seems like every other Blog, Dick, and Hairy has created a best and worst list for 2004, so I thought I'd take a crack at as well. Se here goes:

Let's start with the obvious first:

Favorite movie seen in 2004:

TIE: Fahrenheit 9/11 and Spiderman 2

The reason for the first selection should be obvious to anyone who has read any of my political rants over the course of this election year. And as for SM2, well, it's one of those very rare instances where a sequel was better than the original. I just couldn't decide whether I liked one over the other. Still no word on whether Michael Moore's next film will be titled: "What the Fuck is Wrong With You People?! Weren't You Paying Attention?! Do I Have to Draw You a Picture?!


Least favorite movie seen in 2004:

The Bourne Supremacy
Let me explain (and if you haven't seen it yet, don't read any further).

I liked this movie. I really did. But my biggest problem with it was the fact that they killed off the girl within the first 20 minutes of the movie. Having read all three books, I know that the character of Marie is the central figure in all three. In the books, Jason Bourne doesn't want to do what he is trained to do, but he does it because he is forced to because Marie is in danger. I won't explain further here. Go read the books yourself!

Movie I'm glad I didn't see in 2004:

Without a Paddle

Two words: Matthew Lillard

Movie I wish I'd seen in 2004:

The Incredibles

Everyone who has seen this movie has told me how great it was. I suppose it's still in some theatres, so I SHOULD get off my lazy ass and see it. Maybe this weekend.
Some of you may be saying I should see Shrek 2 while I'm at it, but I didn't think the first one was all that great. I realize this puts me in the minority, but I just didn't like it that much. Maybe I should watch it again when I'm drunk...

Favorite new TV show of 2004:

"LOST".

Three words: This. Show. Rocks.
I have no idea where they're going with it, but I guarantee I'll be going along for the ride. I just hope they can maintain the intensity and mystery of the show. Seriously. Just how many plot twists can they come up with?

Least favorite new TV show of 2004:

"Desperate Housewives"

I watched the pilot of this show, and that's one hour of my life I wish I could have back. Make that 55 minutes. If they'd cut everything from that show except for Eva Longoria strutting around in her underwear, THEN it MIGHT be worth watching.

Show that I like that I'm most sure won't last the season:

"Rodney"

Rodney Carrington is one of my favorite comedians. However, you can probably count the number of standup comedians who've had successful TV careers on the fingers of one hand. I like this show, but I'm probably one of the few still watching it.

Obviously, I'm not counting any of the new shows that have already been cancelled. I haven't liked any of them.

TV show I'm happiest they brought back this season:

"Alias"

Granted, it took them until January to get it back on TV, but from what I've seen in the previews, it will be worth the wait! Besides, Jennifer Garner could have a show where she did nothing but recite the alphabet over and over and I would still watch it! Fox's "24" was a close second, but I was disappointed in the way it ended last season. They need to make it better this time around.

TV show I will miss the most when it's over:

"NYPD Blue"

Except for the first season, when the local ABC affiliate refused to air it (Long Story), I've watched every episode of every season. With the rapid emergence of shows like "CSI" that make police work seem too fancy and clinical, I will miss the gritty interrogation rooms of the 15th Precinct. But maybe it's time for them to go. The days of beating a confession out of someone are long past their time. Just ask the prisoners of Abu Ghraib...

Movie I'm most looking forward too in 2005:

Batman Begins

Elektra was a close second, but I've got to go with the Dark Knight on this one. After the way the last BM movie sucked dirty ass water, I have high hopes that this one will rescue the franchise. And from the previews I've seen, I won't be disappointed.

Movie I most expect to disappoint me in 2005:

Star Wars: Episode 3

I just can't help it. One and Two were just so bad. George Lucas made his best movies when he let someone else write and direct them. I have no doubt that he is a wizard at creating special effects, but the success of the first three movies was that there was an actual plot and good acting (in most cases) to back them up. They didn't depend of the visual effects to prop up the movie.


And now, on a more personal note:

High point of the year for 2004:

Watching my beloved OSU Buckeyes beat the snot out of Michigan. Here's to doing it again this November

Low point of the year for 2004:

Watching 51% of this country prove that it still has its collective head up its collective ass on November 2nd. What the fuck is WRONG with you people.

That's all for now. Time to hang on and enjoy the ride in 2005--and hope the terrorists don't blow us all up!

No comments: