Tuesday, May 03, 2005

An Anniversary, of Sorts

I just realized that Sunday was May 1st.

This date has a significance greater than simply the fact that it's May Day.

Y'see, one year ago, on May 1st, I wrote the first entry in my semi-daily journal, which, almost three short months later, would become this my humble blog.

Yes folks, it's true: I have been transcribing my thoughts and ramblings into electronic format for more than a year now.

Thank you. Please hold the applause. Just give me money.

And on this somewhat momentous occasion I want to look back over a few significant events that happened over the course of the last year (this is by no means a complete or comprehensive list):

* In May 2004, James Franklin McAfee, my cousin Shawn's third child, entered this world.

* In June 2004, the Detroit Pistons stunned L.A. (and the world) by using a combination of great team play and strong defense to defeat the Lakers in the championship series 4 games to 1.

* In July 2004, the Democrats selected the most boring man in the world as their candidate for president. Three people died of boredom during his acceptance speech. Several others are hospitalized.

* In August 2004, the Republicans re-nominated the worst president in history. Throughout the convention, the name Osama Bin Laden is never mentioned.

* In September 2004, the third anniversary of the worst attack ever on American soil passed. Little mention of it was made, other than in political attack ads.

* In October 2004, the Boston Red Sox ended an 86 year World Series drought. Thousands of elderly Bostonians died shortly thereafter, most of them after saying something along the lines of "that's all I was waiting for."

* In November 2004, the World's Greatest College Football Team, the Ohio State Buckeyes, beat the ever-loving crap out of that team from Michigan. Oh yeah, and some guy got re-elected.

* In December 2004, the aforementioned buckeyes travelled to San Antonio and opened a Texas-sized can of whoop-ass on Oklahoma State. Maurice who?

* In January 2005, the third anniversary of my mother's death passed. I will always miss her.

* In February 2005, The New England patriots won the Super Bowl. Why the hell couldn't Bill Belichick coach this well when he coached the Browns?! Oh, and that other winter sport, hockey, became the first professional sport to lose an entire season due to a labor dispute.

* In March 2005, Air America Radio celebrated one year on the air, now with over 50 stations. Right-wingers start to sweat a little. It's getting harder for them to laugh it off.

* In April 2005, I filed my taxes after waiting until the last possible minute. I find out I could have had a fairly good-sized refund much earlier, if I'd done my taxes earlier. D'oh!

* In May 2005, I realize I've been doing this for a year. I congratulate myself.

Wow. A lot can happen in a year, huh?

No comments: