Monday, May 02, 2005

I Have a Problem

Want to know what it is? Too bad! I'm going to tell you anyway!

My problem is this: I read too much. There. I've said it.

I know. "How", you are asking, "can this possibly be a bad thing?"

Well, Sparky, I'm glad you asked.

I am a voracious reader. I would guess that in the 35+ years I've been walking this earth, I've probably read close to a thousand books, written by everyone from Arthur C. Clarke to Zane Grey. I take advantage of every opportunity I can to read. Usually I read fiction, but I also read the occasional work of non-fiction.

I know. "WHEN WILL HE GET TO THE POINT?!"

The point is this. Lately, more and more books are being made into movies. Hollyweird, it would seem, is lately incapable of coming up with an original idea Don't believe me? Check the roster of summer movies coming out this summer, and see how many of them are based on old TV shows.

So what's so bad about this trend? Well, for one thing, there are a host of problems involved with cramming a 500+ page book into a two hour movie. The loss of detail. The loss of complex characters. Etc.

But by far the biggest problem of movie adaptations of books is often the failure of the movie to even remotely resemble the plot of the book in any way.

You may recall in Yesterday's post that I lamented the failure of T.H.H.G.G. movie to stay faithful to the book. But, as bad as it was, it was not as bad as some of the other crap that has come out of Hollyweird (Coughs Sahara).

Currently, I am reading H.G. Wells' War of the Worlds, mostly because I enjoy a good book but also partially because of the movie of the same name that is due to be released this summer. I know this is probably not a good idea, but I just can't help myself. And from what I've seen of the trailers, I'm pretty sure about the only thing this new movie and the book will have in common is the title.

Note to Steven Spielberg: I realize it's hard to adapt a book that was written over a century ago, but couldya at least try?

Maybe I'm wrong. Who knows? Time will tell.

Meanwhile, I'll keep reading. I guess I'm just a glutton for punishment.

No comments: