Thursday, May 05, 2005

Big Deal

So today is Cinco de Mayo. So what?

If you look back through the archives back to July, You'll see that in the journals I was keeping before I started this blog, I wondered why we make such a fuss in this country over Cinco de Mayo. I called it an excuse just to get smashed and party. Much like most other holidays in this country.

From what I understand, the holiday commemorates the Mexican army's victory over the French.

Wow. A holiday to celebrate beating the French.

That's like a holiday celebrating the lions defeating the Christians.

That's like a holiday celebrating the New England Patriots beating the local Boston Pop Warner team.

That's like a holiday celebrating the Superfriends defeating the Legion of Doom.

My point is this: Defeating the French army is no significant military feat. And if there was a holiday to celebrate every time the French army was defeated, we'd all have a LOT of days off!

So it's really pointless to celebrate Cinco de Mayo. Especially in this country.

If you want to go out and party, just do it! But don't pretend you're doing it in honor of some foreign country's holiday!

No comments: