Friday, December 30, 2005

Taking a Different Tack?

Could the wright finally be getting the message?

Y'see, when the film Fahrenheit 9/11 came out last year, wright-wing groups came out to protest it in droves. The result: It was one of the highest-grossing movies of the year, and it was the highest-grossing documentary ever. Michael Moore laughed all the way to the bank.

And when the movie Saved came out in the same year, I got a mass e-mail forwarded to me by my crackpot aunt urging me not to see it. So, naturally, I watched it. It was an enjoyable piece of fluff, with a syrupy message. I recommend watching it at least once. And although the movie didn't do all that well, it would not have done as well as it did if not for the wright-wingers urging people NOT to watch it!

So now comes Brokeback Mountain. And this time, the wright wingers are taking a different approach. They are simply writing bad reviews of it.

So could it be that they're finally grasping the obvious--that the single most effective way to get someone to do something is to tell them NOT to do it?

I sure hope not. It could mean that someone on the other side actually has two brain cells to rub together. And the single most important advantage we have over the wright is that they are to dumb to get it.

Personally, I will not be seeing this movie. I have ZERO desire to see Jake Gyllenhall and Heath Ledger kissing. Ugh! Mental...image...taking...over...must...
picture...Pamela...Anderson...naked...Ahhh! Much better!

No comments: