Thursday, December 08, 2005

Tooting My Own Horn

Got my letter to the editor published by The Blade today. Here's the link (it's the one at the bottom of the page.)

But, for those of you to lazy to access it, here's the text:

On Saturday the neo-Nazis plan to exercise their right to (hopefully) peaceably assemble. Fine. Our Constitution guarantees that right, along with many others.

I, however, plan to exercise my right to ignore them. And I encourage every other citizen to do the same. Attention is what these people want. If we ignore them, then maybe they will realize that northwest Ohio in December can often be a cold, miserable, uninviting place - especially when you're outside - and they will crawl back under their rocks.


Short. Simple. To the point.

I believe I have sounded off before on this subject. The Neo-Nazis plan their rally on Saturday, and I encourage anyone who will listen to ignore them. I have always believed that the best antidote to hate speech is to ignore it. To paraphrase a popular saying: If an asshole talks in the forest and no one hears him, does he make any noise?

Meanwhile, the local police will be cordoning off about six city blocks downtown. They will be closing the Government center (where I work, by the way.) They are putting up protective barriers over all the lower windows. The Ohio State Patrol has been given special permission to patrol in Toledo and lend a hand if necessary.

God only knows how much money is being spent on this whole project because of these Nazi thunder-fucks. And it may all be for nothing. There's a good chance these people may show up, realize that it's fucking cold in this city, and go the fuck home!

At least, that's what I'm hoping.

No comments: