Wednesday, March 10, 2010

A Trip to Paradise, Part 7

Day 7

My last day on the island paradise of Hawaii.

My dad had an early flight to Los Angeles, so he could catch the train back to Toledo

(My dad loves the train. If there was a train to Hawaii, he would have taken it there.)

I had a late afternoon flight. I managed to spend as much time as possible soaking up some sunshine. The shuttle to the airport was 1/3 of the cost of a cab ride. The only way I can think of that cab drivers survive in this state is that they prey on the naive tourists. Lesson to learn: Don't be a naive tourist.

Before I left, I threw the two flower Leis we received into the Ocean. We kept them in our hotel refrigerator for the week. Tradition says that they should be thrown off the boat as you leave the island, However, since neither of us was leaving by boat, and since throwing things off a moving airplane is frowned upon, I threw them off the breakwater at the beach. Tradition also says that if the Leis you throw off return to shore that you will be back. Both of them did, about 5 minutes after I threw them. I guess we'll both be back there someday. (I gotta say that I hope to return there one day.)

My return flight took me back to Detroit, by way of Atlanta. The return flight was a LOT shorter than the trip out there. Tailwinds.

Upon my return to Detroit, there was 6 inches of snow on my car. Welcome back to winter in the Midwest. Welcome back to reality. Crap.

This is my last entry on my trip. Next post, I go back to being the cynical curmudgeon I usually am.

No comments: