Sunday, February 27, 2005

And the Oscar Goes to...Who Cares?!

As I write this, the Annual Academy awards show is going on. And I have to say: I really don't give a shit one way or another who wins what.

Of all the nominations in all the major categories--Best picture, actor, director, actress, etc.--I haven't seen a single one of them. I would no more know which nominee deserves the award than I would know the square root of 6,579,842.

(By the way, it's 2565.1203, roughly. I used my computer's calculator to figure it out.)

I could care less about the Oscars. Of all the films that have won Best Picture since 1980, the number that I have liked you can count on the fingers of one hand.

My personal worst was Titanic. If not for that movie, As Good as it Gets would have swept five of the the big six. Deservedly. As far as I am concerned, the only good thing about Titanic was that Leonardo DiCaprio got turned into a frozen popsicle at the end of it.

An Aside: If any of the three people reading this are female, I think I just lost them with that comment.

Although I haven't seen it, I think The Aviator should win for Best Director. It's Scorsese's turn. Besides, he created one of the best Mob films ever made--Goodfellas. That movie alone is almost enough for me to forgive him for making The Age of Innocence.

Of course, the irony of what I just said is not lost on me. But I'm not saying Aviator should get best picture. As far as I'm concerned, NO movie with L.D. in it deserves best pic. But give Scorsese the best director nod. Clint Eastwood may be a great director, but I'll NEVER forgive him for making The Bridges of Madison County!

Meanwhile, I've got a copy of A Time to Kill from the library that I think I'll watch again. As far as I'm concerned, that was a movie that was unjustly ignored by the Oscars.

And no, I won't bother with predictions. I'd just be guessing anyway.

No comments: