Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Our Pill-Popping Culture

This evening, I made a bet with myself. I bet myself that if I watched two hours of network TV, I would see at least 5 drug commercials. I won. I owe myself 5 bucks. I don't exepct I'll see any of it, though. I'm a terrible deadbeat.

But I digress.

Drug Commercials: You know the type. They're commercials for drugs that promise to do everything from lowering your cholesterol to giving you a woody any time you want over a 24-hour period. And most of them usually spend 15 seconds telling you what a miracle drug it is, then the next 45 seconds telling you all the ways this drug can kill you.

My personal favoirte is the anti-depression drug, whose side effects include nausea, diarrhea, nervousness, sexual side effects, etc. My first thought when I heard this commercial was, "Wait a minute! I thought this stuff was supposed to cure depression, not cause it!

Today, there's a pill for everything. High cholesterol? Take a pill for it! High blood pressure? Take a pill for it! Impotent? Take a pill for it! Sad? Lonely? Depressed? Take a pill for it! Are your kids driving you crazy? Give them a pill for it! Bad Allergies? Take a pill for it?

What comes next?

Don't like something you heard on the news? Take a pill and forget about it!

Don't feel like you love your spouse? Take a pill for it!

Want to end your life? Take a pill for it!

Think that last one could never happen? Then just ask yourself if 50 years ago, people ever thought they would see commercials talking about Genital Herpes or erections lasting longer than four hours...


The saddest part is, I can't imagine what kind of ads will pop up in my Google Adsense panel thanks to this entry. >:)

No comments: