Monday, January 16, 2006

Another Playoff Weekend in the Books

Well, it seemed I survived another weekend of the NFL playoffs--more than can be said for Chicago, Indianapolis, New England, and Washington. Let's review:

Biggest Playoff Hero: Ben Rothlisberger

I think he somehow managed to stop time just long enough to tie Nick Harper's shoelaces together. That's the only way I can see he managed to make that game-saving tackle that prevented a sure Indianapolis touchdown.

Biggest Playoff Goat: Mike Vanderjagt

For a guy who is pretty much automatic for anything inside 50 yards, he sure shanked that final kick. Sure, it had plenty of distance, but it looked like someone blew it off course with a hidden airgun. Of course, there were a LOT of Steeler fans there, waving those terrible towels...

I'm just sayin'!

ALMOST Biggest Playoff Goat: Jerome Bettis.

You can count on the fingers of one hand the number of times Bettis has fumbled this season--and still have five fingers left! Seriously. The man had not lost a ball for the entire 2005 season, and then he coughs it up on the one-yard-line? And then said fumble is picked up and nearly ran the other way for a touchdown? Sorry, Jerome, but I think your best days are behind you. It's time to hang it up and head for Canton.

Biggest Playoff Surprise: Carolina.

First they manhandled the Giants, then they dismantled Chicago--two of the best NFL teams. I have to believe their number will come due next Sunday in Seattle, but they have proven that they can hang with the best of them. They have earned my grudging respect...and I'm sure I'm not alone. Just ask Eli Manning or Rex Grossman...

Luckiest Team Alive: Pittsburg

With some of the worst officiating I've ever seen and against one of the most hostile crowds in the NFL, they pulled off nothing short of a miracle.

Speaking of which...

Worst Officiating Ever: Pittsburg vs. Indianapolis.

From a false start that was never called to an obvious interception that was somehow overruled on replay, I've never seen a more incompetent job of referreeing. Seriously. Ray Charles could have called the game better. And he's blind. And dead.

Team that shouldn't be where it is right now: None.

A bold statement, I know, but I'm sorry--the better teams won the day. There is no team going into this Sunday's Division Championship games that doesn't 100% belong there. Let's face it: Chicago made it to the playoffs on the strength of its defense...which mysteriously failed it yesterday. Indianapolis...well, I just don't think Tony Dungy's head was in the right place--he had other things on his mind. And Peyton Manning has consistently proven that he can't perform in the big games. Washington should not by any stretch of the imagination have beaten Tampa Bay--they had 120 yards of total offense in that game. And they didn't do much better yesterday. And as for New England...well, Tom Brady used to be the QB at Michigan, so I hate him on principle.

My Prediction for the Big Dance:
Pittsburg vs. Seattle

A week from now, I'll either look like a genius or a complete idiot. Or half-and-half.

No comments: