Wednesday, January 04, 2006

The Dangers of an Early News Deadline

The Blade, Toledo's local newspaper, has the front page banner headline:

12 MINERS ALIVE

Underneath it, of course, is the picture of two women crying tears of joy upon hearing that wonderful news, which, of course, later turned out to be tragically wrong.

The story does not appear on The Blade's website this morning, of course, so I'll see if I can't snap a picture of my paper later on and post the picture.

As far as headline gaffes go, this may not be as big as the infamous "Dewey Defeats Truman" Chicago Tribune headline of 1948, but it's gotta be in the top twenty.

Meanwhile, I want to offer my prayers and sympathies for the families of the 12 miners killed. A tragic accident, indeed, and apparently one that should not have happened. I will be watching closely the details of this story. If there was ever a better indication of how bad the regulation of many industries has gotten, I don't know what it is. Seriously. Over 200 safety violations in ONE YEAR?!

Stay tuned.

No comments: