Thursday, July 29, 2004

Posting today's batch of journal entries

6/11/04

Ronnie Raygun was finally planted today.

Half the office went into my boss’s office to watch the televised funeral. I stayed at my desk. Someone has to get work done around here. All right, I really played computer solitaire most of the time, but it’s the principle of the thing that matters.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: Reagan was nowhere the near-saint EVERYONE seems to think he was.

He cut programs for the poor, cut taxes for the rich, ballooned the deficit and the national debt, and vastly increased military spending. In other words, he did what every Republican president has done since WWII (or before).

Meanwhile, poor Ray Charles languishes below the fold in most papers, and gets a 30 second sound bite at the end of the national newscasts, which are currently all Reagan, all the time.

If you ask me (which most people don’t), Ray contributed a lot more to this country than Reagan ever did. He brought life to many different genres of music. His stirring performance of “America the Beautiful” after September 11th still brings tears to my eyes. The fact that he did all this while blind only makes his achievements all the more impressive. And yet, he barely rates a brief mention in the so-called “liberal media”.

Ray, I have much more confidence in you being welcomed into heaven than Reagan. Sorry Ron, but I think you have a little time to do in purgatory first. Of course, you may already have done that, having rotted away from Alzheimer’s Disease for ten years…

I know I shouldn’t speak ill of the dead, but I just didn’t like Reagan’s politics or his personality. And despite all the pundits on TV, he simply doesn’t rank among the top ten presidents. He’s barely in the top 20.

6/12/04


Woke up this morning and it was raining like crazy. It’s also COLD! I had to put on a long-sleeved shirt today. It’s JUNE 12TH, for the love of Christ!

The day started out crappy and is getting worse.

I should take advantage of the bad weather and clean the trash heap that I call my house, but I probably will just play computer games instead.

Computer games are a great invention. You can be the leader of a small tropical island, a general commanding mighty armies, a forward in the NHL, or even create your own little world of people and control their lives.

They are the single greatest way to waste time ever invented.

I can still remember that electronic football game I used to have. You know—the one where the “players” consisted of little LED lights, and was about as hard to master as a game of checkers. That was cutting edge technology 20 years ago. Now it belongs in a museum.

God, I feel old.

6/13/04

The weather is nicer today. I actually spent a few minutes outdoors mowing my lawn.

My dog loves the outdoors. She likes nothing more than to sleep for hours in the sun. When she’s in my house, she is restless and often wanders all over.

I think it goes back to the time she spent living on the street. She also has a tendency to wander, and not come back when you call her.

She can really be a pain sometimes. But I love her.

Dogs are amazing creatures. They give you their love unconditionally in exchange for nothing more than food, shelter, and the occasional biscuit or pat on the head.

I wonder if they can be considered self-aware? Many is the time I will look over at my dog lying on the couch watching me, and I wonder what she is thinking about.

Skeptics will say that dogs don’t think, but I think they do. I’m not saying they think along the lines of Plato or Descartes, but I’m sure they have simple thoughts, like where their next meal is coming from, or whether or not they will sleep comfortably, or whether or not we will abandon them somewhere.

I know that dogs dream. My dog often barks softly and kicks her leg when she sleeps. She’s probably dreaming about chasing something or somebody.

Dogs are the simplest of creatures, and yet no man can have a more loyal friend than a dog.

I may give her an extra biscuit today.


6/14/04


HOLY SHIT! THE PISTONS WON AGAIN!!!

In your FACE, Lakers!

Normally I’m a person who doesn’t give two shits about basketball. I’ve never been a big fan of watching ten freaks of nature run back and forth on a wooden court dropping a ball through a hoop. I mean, when you break it down, that’s basically what the game is all about. Seriously. Have you SEEN Shaquille O’Neal? The guy is 8 feet tall and weighs 300 pounds. His hands are bigger than my head. That’s not normal. That’s not even abnormal. That’s a genetic mutation!

I am, however, a big fair weather fan when it comes to Detroit teams (except for the Red Wings—I always am a fan of them) and I would just LOVE to see Detroit put L.A. back in its place. Of course, I don’t want to see a riot break out in Detroit, as so often happens when a Detroit sports team wins big.

Seriously. Why burn down the city to celebrate a VICTORY? Are you people nuts?

But getting back to the game. The Pistons can win it all with a victory tomorrow night. I may watch a few minutes of the game, but not all of it—I’ve got plenty of DVD’s to watch instead.

And if they win, maybe it will prove once and for all that it’s not how talented your players are, it’s how bad you want it. It’s one of the biggest sports clichés there is, but it’s still appropriate.

6/15/2004

So the Olsen twins are 18 now. Woo-hoo.

I may have ranted on this before, but WTF does everyone think is going to happen now?

Seriously. Do they think they’ll tell guys to form a line outside their house and wait for their turn? Not gonna happen.

One of them looks anorexic. The tabloid rumors are already starting. Apparently they’re dating. I guess the gloves are off now that they’re legal.

Me, I couldn’t care less. I thought they were kind of creepy when they were babies. Now, picturing them as adults, possibly having sex, really creeps me out, as it should for every normal American male. We watched these kids grow up, for Christ’s sake! We watched their diapers get changed on national television. We know everything about their lives.

Now, do we suddenly believe the innocence is gone?

I don’t.

Of course, I wouldn’t turn either one of them down if they asked me out.

Excuse me. I need to go slap myself.

No comments: