Saturday, April 16, 2005

Take Me Out to the Ball Game...

...take me out to the Crowd!

The Toledo Mud Hens (www.mudhens.com) home opener was last night. I was there. I nearly froze my ass off in the process, but I was there.

The Mud Hens have been around, in some form, for over 100 years now. They're the most famous minor league baseball team in the country, in my opinion (an opinion, by the way, shared by a lot of others!)

And three years ago, they started playing in their brand new stadium in downtown Toledo, to usually sell-out crowds. It got to the point two years ago that the crowds at Mud Hens games were larger than those at the Tiger games, the parent club of the Mud Hens (that was the year when the Tigers came just one game short of setting the record for worst record of any major league baseball team)!

The new field is awesome, by the way. It seats over 12,000 people and is equipped with all the modern conveniences. It has brought the downtown area around it back to life, at least during the baseball season. It's an investment that has paid off big time, and if the Mud Hens can stay good, it will continue to pay off.

Let's go Hens!

No comments: