Sunday, October 09, 2005

The Jury's Still Out

So far, I have watched the first two episodes of the new ABC drama series Commander-in-Chief, and, I have to say, I'm not super impressed.

Unlike The West Wing which grabbed me by the throat from the first episode and has held my attention, unwavering, ever since, C-I-C has so far failed to do that.

Y'see, in the pilot episode of TWW, there was a scene near the end where some of his staffers are arguing with a group of religious conservatives. The argument is getting quite heated at one point, and just as an argument over the commandments comes up, one of the religious crowd asks the question, "Well, what's the first commandment?" At that exact point a very angry president Bartlett storms into the room and says loudly, "I am the lord your god and you shall know no other goods before me!" And he then proceeds to tear the conservative crowd a new asshole for failing to denouce a group of religious extremists. And then he tells them that until they do, "...you can all get your fat asses out of my White House."

I have to tell you, at that point, as I have every time I've seen it since, I stood up and cheered. And I was then hooked on the show, and have been ever since. I mean, imagine our current president, or any president for that matter, doing something similar.

To make a long story short (I know, too late), I have yet to have a similar reaction to C-I-C. I will continue to watch it, though, as long as House is still being pre-empted by baseball. So, to the makers of C-I-C I say this: You have about two more episodes to grab my interest. If it fails to happen by then, you may lose me for good. And I have a feeling I won't be alone.

No comments: