Wednesday, August 25, 2004

8/25/04

So. What to write about today.

Oh yeah. Dick Cheney finally acknowledged that he has a gay daughter.

He said, and I quote:
"Lynne and I have a gay daughter, so it's an issue our family is very familiar with."

He also said:

"The question that comes up with the issue of marriage is what kind of official sanction or approval is going to be granted by government? Historically, that's been a relationship that has been handled by the states. The states have made that fundamental decision of what constitutes a marriage."

(Source for both quotes: AOL News)

Hmm. Meanwhile, King George the W keeps talking about amending the constitution to define marriage as between a man and a woman.

As I've mentioned before, I don't give two shits about the whole issue. I'm not gay, but I do know a few gay people, and most of them are nice, normal people. Of course, some of them are freakishly weird, but the same can be said about some of the straight people that I know.

I figure live and let live. I don't object to anyone's religious, political, or lifestyle choices, as long as they don't try to force them on me! And if these poor saps want to get married, let 'em! Let them deal with the pain of divorce, and cheating, and ugly marital spats, and every other pain (and pleasure) that comes from married life. As I've mentioned before, I think the whole thing is a plot by divorce lawyers to target a fairly good-sized portion of the populace.

As far as Cheney goes, I think the whole thing is a shameless attempt to pander to the more moderate Republicans who are turned off by the violent homophobia of the extreme right. Knowing as much as I do about Cheney, I'm not prepared to give him any shred of benefit of the doubt.

For his daughter's sake, though, I hold the hope (probably in vain) that he's being sincere.

No comments: