Friday, August 27, 2004

8/27/04

So. What to write about today.

Oh yeah. The new census report on the poverty figures came out. The gist of it is that there were more poor people last year than the year before. I say, "DUH!"

You can read the full story here:

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/08/26/census.poverty.ap/

Boiling it all down, it's basically bad news for King George the W.

So what is their response:

1) Release the report early. Traditionally, this report is released the first week of September.
2) Blame the messenger. Say that the census numbers are old (which they are) and that they don't reflect the current booming economy.

OK, let's look at this. To address the first point, just look at what's ahead. Releasing the numbers in September would put them right after the Republican convention. We couldn't have that!

To address the second point, King George the W is well on his way to being the first president since Hoover to finish his first term (and hopefully his last) with fewer net jobs than he started with. And the jobs that are being created pay, on average, about 25% less than the jobs they are replacing. In addition, more and more people are losing their health care coverage. And the people who are losing it are the one's who can least afford to!

Now, I don't believe in living on handouts. I never have (I did collect unemployment a few times, but I figure I earned that money. I firmly believe welfare should be a hand up, not a way of life.

On the other hand, I don't believe anyone should be forced to work more than one job just to support their family. Having a job means you are a productive (and taxpaying) member of society. You shouldn't be punished for it by being forced to choose between buying food and buying health insurance.

I thank GOD that I am no longer living from paycheck to paycheck like I did for so many years. But I know I am only one financial disaster away from abject poverty, as are a lot of other people. At least I have health insurance. A lot of those same other poeple don't.

Oh, well. That's the way our system works. The poor get poorer and the rich get richer.

You watch, though. I'd almost bet money that we'll have another terror alert in a day or two!

No comments: